Subject: Re: JMS Interview at fanboyplanet.
Date: 21 Oct 2004 09:30:53 GMT
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe

>The copyright bit's correct, but the extension/exception should be
>mentioned, since you effectively brought that up. Namely, how can Google, or
>previously DejaNews which was the initial source of much of the current
>Google archive, exist under point 2)? The theory, as I understand it, is
>that since by definition the act of posting to Usenet causes copies to be
>made on all machines hooked up to Usenet that receive the post, there's
>implicit permission granted by choosing to post an article for Usenet sites
>to have their copies. And the Google archive is a Usenet site (complete with
>posting abilities)...with an extremely long expire time on its article cache
>dating back to May 1981.
>
>It's when you take it off Usenet that you've got problems.

Exactly...and the jmsnews pieces are stored off usenet proper on a server of
its own, all gathered in one place, as opposed to Google, which browses through
all that's out there.  The jmsnews segments/archives aren't google'd, you have
to go in onto the server where they've been placed/moved to access them.