Subject: Re: Err... (gulps) Ahh... JMS, I hope I didn't open a "can of worms"
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:25:57 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

>So anyways, just for giggles I thought "Well I wonder what Jerry Doyle
>thinks about the new project?" so I sent an (ONLY ONE!!!) E-mail.
>Thinking Jerry's a busy guy might not even see mine. Which, hey I'm
>fine with, and understand, 9 out of 10 E-mails I get I don't even
>read, DELETED.
>
>So you can imagine my shock when I got an E-mail back in a few days!
>
>Now keep in mind I have the mind set of a Babylon 5 hard core geek. So
>when I wrote the E-mail, I was thinking "Oh, gee, I'll bet the cast is
>as up to date on Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows as all of us "here"
>are. What better way to sneak (here's where you can slap me up side
>the head) some info on the new project!"
>
>So it's with that in mind that the following E-mail "happened".

>arkofthekundert@juno.com wrote:
>
>"So, has JMS let you see the script for "Babylon 5: The Memory of
>Shadows"?
>I gather if so that you can't talk at length about it, but what are
>your thoughts regaurding the over all writing of it? Good, bad?
>
>Arlen Kundert"

Allow me to explain the multitude of things you did wrong here.

There's fannish (I use that term in a neutral fashion here, only to distinguish
between a fan of what's done, and those charged with the doing of it) fannish
interest in something, and the day to day reality of people who make a living
in this area.

You went to someone you did not know, asking a question you knew in your heart
you probably couldn't get an answer to in any event, about a confidential
matter which that person may or may not yet have been informed
himself...meaning if he wasn't, he'd feel out of the loop, and if he was, he'd
have to lie or be disingenuous.

You did not "open a can of worms."

You stuck your nose where it did not belong.  Slight difference.

Never.  Do it.  Again.