Subject: Re: attn. JMS: A TV writing question...
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 06:10:30 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

>> In other words...and don't take this the wrong way, but it's the
>fact...you've
>> been to the zoo, but you've never had to be the monkey in the cage.  Your
>> understanding and empathy for the situation is delineated by which side of
>the
>> cage you're standing on.
>>

>With all due respect, Joe, your reply to Lyle is both profoundly arrogant
>and *wrong*.
>
>To suggest that someone who holds a "day job" to survive (like probably 90%
>of all the artists, actors and writers in the world) while pursuing their
>creative endeavor in the precious hours outside of 9-5, is somehow less of
>an artist than someone who has been fortunate enough to turn their art into
>a paying profession (with, I might point out, the concomitant compromises
>that come along with commercial success) is both fallacious and
>condescending.

Yes, it would be, if that was what I had said.  Or even what I had suggested.

Let me read that over again...hmm..."less of an artist"...wait, let me scroll
back a second, and go back to the original message, because I'd hate to be
wrong about something as monumental as this, and check again...hmmmm.....nope,
nope, it ain't there.

This is what's called "reading something that wasn't ever said or implied into
what someone else said."

My point, which everybody else here seems to have gotten but you, is that a
person who does something as a hobby, has a different perspective on that
practice than someone who makes a living at it.  Are you saying this is not so?
 I don't think you'd find anyone north of Papua, New Guinea who would go along
with that premise.

So: no, I didn't say it, didn't imply it, didn't suggest it.  And pretty much
all the other replies I've seen here tend to bolster the sense that you're the
*only* person who came up with this one.  Because you have a tendency to do
that, and to try and hammer me with stuff, usually unprovoked.

I hope that you will be as enthusiastic in your retraction of your accusation
as you were in the making of it.

It would certainly be a refreshing change of pace.