Subject: cooney's latest
Date: 10 May 2002 08:46:28 GMT
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: alt.babylon5.uk

Forgive the intrusion on a matter of what constitutes news on a tired subject
that I almost don't care about anymore, and shouldn't care about at all, except
that sometimes things happen that are just so goddamned funny that you have to
comment on it to people who know the history, which would be the folks in this
newsgroup....

Anyway...long preamble dispensed with, the basics follow.

A few days ago, I got an email from a source in the UK alerting me to a
situation that, when I read it, I thought, "This can't *possibly* be true."
But I checked, and to my utter amazement and astonishment, it is true.

Last week, it turns out that Bryan Cooney was here in Vancouver, and decided to
stop by the Bridge Studios, where we film Jeremiah and Stargate is filmed.
Well, "stop by" probably isn't the most correct phrase.  More specific...he
told the guard at the gate that he was a courier making a delivery, and thereby
slipped onto the lot.  Now, you must understand that anyone having a legitimate
reason for coming onto the lot gets a pass; if you're a cab driver or a UPS guy
or a courier, who's gonna come and go right away, you don't get a pass.  You
come, you go, that's it.  He didn't get a pass.

Under the false pretense of being a courier, Cooney snuck onto the lot...and
stayed for a good part of the day, sneaking onto the Stargate sets, attempting
to get Stargate actors to sign photographs for whatever reason.  Well, that is
also not as correct as it might be...he *tried* to stay for a good part of the
day, but got booted off the lot by security when they were alerted to the
situation.

More specific still...he was booted off *twice* by security when he tried to
sneak on the lot again, and spent the rest of the day prowling the area around
the lot desperately trying to figure out some way to get in.

So outrageous was the situation that, apparently, whatever minor francise
license he had has been revoked by MGM, and by orders of those at Stargate if
he attempts to slip onto the lot again he will be arrested on sight.

The amazing thing is that all this happened within 100 yards of my office on
the lot, and I was completely unaware of it until the email came, and I was
then able to verify the situation with those directly involved.  For this I
would've set up a lawn chair on the grounds and sold tickets....

Anyway, just the latest for those who might find the tale of interest.

Anybody wanna place bets on the odds of *this* little adventure showing up in
the pages of the ostensibly objective SFX Magazine...?

permission to reprint this one specific posting
specifically and enthusiastically given to SFX Magazine)