The Babylon 5 Scripts Team surprised us with the release of The Babylon 5 Scripts of J. Michael Straczynski – Volume 2.5 on Wednesday 23 January 2013. This volume focuses on the original draft script of “Points of Departure”, previously thought lost to a hard drive crash. It’s discovery was followed by the revelation that it was actually shot, and that the “Points of Departure” that we know is the product of significant reshoots. This volume recreates the original version of “Points of Departure” from the original draft screenplay and a recovered VHS recording of the original shooting of the episode. Volume 2.5 includes:
- The original draft script with extensive annotations comparing it to the director’s cut, producers’ cut, and aired version, comprising 100 pages.
- A video-image recreation matching up the script to nearly 300 screenshots from the original version of the episode.
- An audio CD of the original version of the episode.
- A postcard and bookmark featuring quotes that didn’t make the final cut.
- As a bonus, J. Michael Straczynski’s outlines for the “Centauri Prime” and “Passing of the Techno-Mages” book trilogies.
Volume 2.5 can be purchased from the Babylon 5 Books website for $39.99. It is on sale for $10 off through Wednesday 30 January 2013.