To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Babylon 5, the B5 Books team will release Babylon 5 at Twenty: A Visual Celebration. This is a 12″ x 12″ hardcover book with slipcase containing 256 pages with 753 high-resolution images.
Visit B5Books.com to see some images of this beautiful tome. The 150gsm heavy-weight paper is museum-quality with a matte finish. The cloth cover and slipcase are made from extra durable WIBALIN®. The title and B5-20 logo are embossed with foil stamping, and a silver ribbon bookmark is attached. The book has the highest quality Smyth-sewn binding. This means the book lays flat for every page and the pages will not pull away from the binding (nor will the spine crack) because the pages are not glued.
The book ships on 30 June 2013 and is priced at $134, but pre-orders are currently being taken at the discount price of $88.
The Babylon 5 Scripts Team surprised us with the release of The Babylon 5 Scripts of J. Michael Straczynski – Volume 2.5 on Wednesday 23 January 2013. This volume focuses on the original draft script of “Points of Departure”, previously thought lost to a hard drive crash. It’s discovery was followed by the revelation that it was actually shot, and that the “Points of Departure” that we know is the product of significant reshoots. This volume recreates the original version of “Points of Departure” from the original draft screenplay and a recovered VHS recording of the original shooting of the episode. Volume 2.5 includes:
- The original draft script with extensive annotations comparing it to the director’s cut, producers’ cut, and aired version, comprising 100 pages.
- A video-image recreation matching up the script to nearly 300 screenshots from the original version of the episode.
- An audio CD of the original version of the episode.
- A postcard and bookmark featuring quotes that didn’t make the final cut.
- As a bonus, J. Michael Straczynski’s outlines for the “Centauri Prime” and “Passing of the Techno-Mages” book trilogies.
Volume 2.5 can be purchased from the Babylon 5 Books website for $39.99. It is on sale for $10 off through Wednesday 30 January 2013.
The Babylon 5 Books Team will published a companion volume to the six-volume Echoes of All Our Conversations collection of interviews with the cast and crew of Babylon 5. This volume contains indexes to the other six volumes – which they will also provide online for free in PDF format – plus a few bonuses. The release date is 17 October 2012, but preorders are currently being taken.
The featured “cover actor” for the Companion volume is Stephen Furst. The Companion volume includes:
- A comprehensive, 108-page index to all six volumes containing 2,387 entries and 11,949 references (will be available online for free)
- An index for each of the six volumes averaging 12 pages each (will be available online for free)
- A Babylon 5 production timeline
- Tables of contents categorized by occupation, i.e. directors, regular cast, guest cast, etc.
- An illustrated index that gives each interview subject’s name and photograph along with the relevant page numbers
- Four previously unpublished set plans
- An individual autograph by Stephen Furst
- A special note to the fans by Stephen Furst
- A bookmark with a Vir quote selected by Stephen Furst
- A Postcard with a Vir quote selected by Stephen Furst
The Companion volume is priced at $34, but it is discounted to $24 until Tuesday 23 October 2012. It can be ordered at B5Books.com.
The entire series has had its availability extended until at least 31 March 2013. The free PDF indexes will not be made available until the series has ceased publication.
Michael O’Hare, who played Commander Sinclair on Babylon 5 passed away on Friday 28 September 2012. He had suffered a heart attack the preceding Sunday and was in a coma since then. Our thoughts are with the O’Hare family.
Volume 2 of Echoes of All Our Conversations was released on Wednesday 11 April 2012. The six-volume series contains interviews with the cast and crew of Babylon 5 conducted at the time it was in production. The featured “cover” actor for Volume 2 is Bruce Boxleitner. This volume includes:
- 356 pages with 24 interviews, 25 never-before-seen behind-the-scenes photos, nine concept sketches, and one storyboard
- An individual autograph by Bruce Boxleitner
- A special note to the fans by Bruce Boxleitner
- A bookmark with a Sheridan quote selected by Bruce Boxleitner
- A Postcard with a quote selected by Bruce Boxleitner
- An audio interview with Bruce Boxleitner and Michael O’Hare
Volume 2 is priced at $69, but it is discounted to $49 until Tuesday 17 April 2012. It can be ordered at B5Books.com.
The entire series will cease to be available after 30 September 2012.
The Babylon 5 Books team is beginning a new series titled Echoes of All Our Conversations. This is a six-volume series containing interviews with the cast and crew of Babylon 5 conducted at the time it was in production. Each volume features one “cover” actor and includes a number of bonus features focusing on this actor. The Volume 1 featured actor is Peter Jurasik, and the volume includes:
- 370 pages with 24 interviews and 25 never-before-seen behind-the-scenes photos
- An individual autograph by Peter Jurasik
- A special note to the fans by Peter Jurasik
- A bookmark with a Londo quote selected by Peter Jurasik
- A Postcard with a quote selected by Peter Jurasik
- An audio interview with Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas
Volume 1 will be available on Wednesday 14 March 2012, but it can be preordered starting today at B5Books.com. The price is $69, discounted to $49 until Tuesday 20 March 2012.
The remaining books will be available on a monthly schedule, and the entire series will cease to be available after 30 September 2012.
- Volume 1 — March 14
- Volume 2 — April 11
- Volume 3 — May 9
- Volume 4 — June 13
- Volume 5 — July 11
- Volume 6 — August 8